GEA Golf Forum > You all hate Gary Player?

Full Version: You all hate Gary Player?

29 Mar 2012
To: ALL

Based on the other thread about "least favorite golfers", it seems Gary Player is close to the lead for most disliked.

This hot of the presses ...

http://www.supersport.com/golf/article.aspx?Id=1313091

World Golf Hall of Fame member Gary Player, considered by many to be the greatest international golfer of all time, has been named the 10th recipient of the PGA Tour’s Lifetime Achievement Award.

& this:

Founded in 1984, The Player Foundation built the Blair Athol Schools in Johannesburg, South Africa, which has educational facilities for more than 500 students from kindergarten through grade eight.

The foundation, which has raised more than $50 million in its time, has expanded efforts in all corners of the globe, raising funds for impoverished children through four Gary Player Invitational events – in Europe, China, the United States and South Africa.

EDITED: 29 Mar 2012 by BRIANL99

29 Mar 2012
To: Brian (BRIANL99) [#1] 29 Mar 2012

This is the GEA these days. There is no one in golf that someone isn't willing to post something very negative about them.

Personally, I hate Harry Vardon. - Nevin

29 Mar 2012

Player was a class act in golf.

29 Mar 2012

He did a lot of good off the course but has been suspected of cheating several times.

29 Mar 2012
To: Horace Cugle [#4] 30 Mar 2012

>He did a lot of good off the course but has been suspected of cheating several times.<

I don't know about "several times", but there was the Watson incident & the incident in the British Open when his caddy Rabbit Dyer was accused ... although if I recall correctly, that was ludicrous ... Player was leading my 5 or 6 shots at the time.

Player once claimed Watson "cheated" ... & it turned out he was right, Watson was playing with illegal irons and won a couple of majors with them.

29 Mar 2012
To: Brian (BRIANL99) [#5] 29 Mar 2012

I've been following golf for a long time and I've never, ever heard that Watson payed illegal irons. A quick GOogle search turned up nothing. I have to believe that would have been a huge story. Care to elaborate? I mean that seriously because, like I said, I've never heard that one. . . . .

**EDIT: Found it: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19770811&id=TjxOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1O0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6933,4045931

FWIW, according to this story Player didn't call him on it, Watson came forward voluntarily to have his grooves measured after it was determined several pros were innocently playing clubs with grooves too wide. . . . .including Gary Player

29 Mar 2012
To: ethegolfman [#6] 29 Mar 2012

Here's another take on the Watson accusation:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=33692.60;wap2

29 Mar 2012
To: ethegolfman [#6] 29 Mar 2012

>FWIW, according to this story Player didn't call him on it, Watson came forward voluntarily to have his grooves measured after it was determined several pros were innocently playing clubs with grooves too wide. . . . .including Gary Player<

From what I've read, that's not exactly the story ...

It started with Jerry Heard looking at George Burns' clubs, at the 1977 Hartford Open. Clyde Mangrum looked at Burns' club and declared them illegal & subsequently, everyone's clubs were check at the PGA Championship. It turns out that all of Watson's clubs, plus his backup set ... plus a 3rd set of old MacGregors, were all illegal. He ended up shooting 68 with a set of old Tommy Armour Silver Scots clubs he had never seen, that he borrowed from Roger Maltbie.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19770811&id=TjxOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1O0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6933,4045931

29 Mar 2012
To: Brian (BRIANL99) [#1] 30 Mar 2012

As one of the people that posted in that thread.

Well deserved.

It is possible to not care for someone's personality (or an aspect of their personality) and still acknowledge their accomplishments and some of the good things they've done.

29 Mar 2012

That is great, no question. Its also easy to be generous when you are wealthy.

30 Mar 2012

I read the entire thread you referenced and I don't think anyone ever used the word "hate" about anyone. Yet you up the ante in your title for this thread.

Also, many great athletes, actors, entertainers, famous people are/were great at what they do/did but are/were disliked because they treat/treated people badly or, for just an example, held very unpopular political/social views.

One such person in sports was Ty Cobb, who was great at baseball but was a raging racist.

Another example outside sports is Charles A. Lindbergh, who was a great aviator but wanted America out of Europe during World War II and besides his American wife had a German "wife" and family. When people got to know "Lucky Lindy," they disliked him. Where he took off from on his solo trip to Paris is a parking lot for a shopping center--no statue or plaque for him--he was considered a Nazi by many.

We can acknowledge Gary Player as one of the best golfers who ever played without liking him--"dislike" not "hate."

30 Mar 2012
To: bcjim [#10] 30 Mar 2012

What do you have to have to be wealthy. It is not just money.
A lot of giving or how you give depends on your upbringing. I am glad to see Gary Player does give back, even though he wants it known. It is better than if he didn't give back at all.
It is less painful to be generous when you have more money than you can ever spend.
If you give 10% of your income to charity, it is the same if you make $30K as when you make $300K.
Stinking rich people often find that they want to give their money away before they die. Like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Boone Pickens, Rockefeller family. After all family trusts are established they are giving it all away down to a mere $800 million or so. Hahaha

I don't have too much a problem with Gary Player. Talented people often carry massive egos or idiosyncrasies. This is true for everything, not just golf. Humility is more a rarity, Trump and Okra come to mind.
It is not like Gary Player is a Doug Sanders. Tiger Woods is not even in that class.

While we are talking about charity, here is a messed up fact.
If you give 10% of your income to church or charity you create a red flag and a half to the IRS to be audited. I think the number to stay out of red flag is about 3%. CPA's or tax preparers can weigh in on this.

30 Mar 2012

Any charity work done by Player or anyone else is good, of course. And Player was a great golfer. I don't like him because he was a big supporter of apartheid in SA.

30 Mar 2012
To: geareffect [#13] 30 Mar 2012

quote: geareffect
Any charity work done by Player or anyone else is good, of course. And Player was a great golfer. I don't like him because he was a big supporter of apartheid in SA.

That is harsh.
He certainly changed his mind about it. When he saw the world he saw that it was not as he had been taught or brainwashed to believe.
He grew up in a very different era. He had a right to change his views. Player is more than 20 years older than me.
I have changed my views. Heck, schools were still segregated until I was in High School. Right or wrong, I grew up that way.
My father is now passed on, had a big problem with me marrying a Mexican girl because of how he grew up in South Texas and viewed Mexicans. I told him that I was at a loss and hurt for how he was thinking because he did not teach his own kids that way. My Dad told me that he didn't teach us that way because he knew it was wrong. From one generation to the next, changes occur. Change takes time. He accepted my wife very quickly because she is a good person and he changed his views.
My father -in-law hated ALL white people. I said, every single one? His views are very different now. He knows I am a good husband, a good father and a good provider. I get along great with him and proud to be his son-in-law.
I see that Gary Player did change how he thought too.
This is well documented. ESPN Classic is not the only reference.

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Player_Gary.html

EDITED: 30 Mar 2012 by Jim

30 Mar 2012

based on another thread, brian99 is the least favorite GEA poster. Get a life!

30 Mar 2012
To: Belt Sanders (JIM) [#14] 30 Mar 2012

I am willing to cut him slack given the times in which he was born. He has now checked off the right boxes, but not sure that he has completely changed. This is a longish article, but gives better insight into GP.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/papwa?currentPage=1

30 Mar 2012
To: Belt Sanders (JIM) [#14] 30 Mar 2012

>He grew up in a very different era. He had a right to change his views.<

You're exactly right. Player was a supporter of his government, not necessarily a supporter of Arpatheid. Even Nelson Mandela has applauded Player's efforts in South Africa over the last 20 years.

http://garyplayer.com/news/news_detail/former_president_nelson_mandela_honors_the_gary_player_group/

30 Mar 2012
To: bf (BAREFOOTCOTTAGE) [#15] 30 Mar 2012

>based on another thread, brian99 is the least favorite GEA poster. Get a life!<

That should win you some friends.

Usually people wait until they've been around GEA for 6 months or have made at least 10 posts, before they get obnoxious.

Nice to see you're ahead of the curve.

EDITED: 30 Mar 2012 by BRIANL99

30 Mar 2012
To: Frisky (SUE ANN MISHKE) [#11] 30 Mar 2012

>One such person in sports was Ty Cobb, who was great at baseball but was a raging racist.<

Let's stick to golf ... Bobby Jones was a raging racist and as far as I'm concerned, he was perfectly within his rights to feel however he felt, that's what America used to be about.

> read the entire thread you referenced and I don't think anyone ever used the word "hate" about anyone. Yet you up the ante in your title for this thread. ... We can acknowledge Gary Player as one of the best golfers who ever played without liking him--"dislike" not "hate."<

I'll give you the same advice I just gave someone else ... most posters wait 6 months or until they've made at least 10 posts before they get obnoxious & post drivel ... again, you're ahead of the curve.

Of course, you're perfectly welcome to start your own thread and title it however you wish.

30 Mar 2012
To: Brian (BRIANL99) [#19] 30 Mar 2012

I've been reading and contributing to discussions on this and other golf discussion boards for years--probably very soon after they started.

I used to have a different name on this board; but when I tried to use it with this new computer and address I now have, it was denied, so I had to sign up again or not be able to post. I'm not new to this board, as you suggest disqualifies me from pointing out your mistakes. I probably was posting on it before you were.

I think my posts are too good for you. They hit home and you can't handle them, so you criticize me personally. Criticism from someone like you means nothing to me.

Why don't you be honest and use "some" not "all and use "dislike" not "hate"? It's people like you who should post fewer posts.

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2014 Project Beehive Forum