GEA Golf Forum > My Titleist 913D driver fitting...

Full Version: My Titleist 913D driver fitting...

30 Oct 2012
To: ALL

Just got done with my 913D fitting by Nathan at Champion's Run CC in Omaha (an advanced Titleist fitting account )…..got fitted into the 9.5* 913 D2 with the Aldila Phenom 70 stiff-flex shaft and SureFit hosel setting = C1 to take the initial launch angle down a bit and flatten the lie to help counteract my strong right-hand grip…that’s actually the setting I use when I use the RIP Alpha 60S in the 910D2.

I tried the +62 stiff in both whiteboard and blueboard, but the Phenom was the only shaft that got my avg. spin rate down into the 2200-2400 range with an avg. launch angle around 14* (as measured on a the Foresight “GameChanger” launch monitor)…the launch monitor numbers indicated I was getting the ball into the coveted “white” zone on the Titleist 913D fitting guide’s graph that gives the fitter a general idea of the desired spin rates, given the player’s ball speed and launch angle – so Nathan was pretty happy with the results. I was also pretty happy with how the ball felt off of the face with the Phenom….my last shot felt like a miniature explosion – must have hit the sweet spot on that one! Actually the +62 Blue was getting pretty good numbers but the spin rate was not down as low as the Phenom was for me. I also like the idea of having at least one 70-gram range shaft to go along with my three other 60-gram range SF-tipped shafts (The DI-6, RIP Alpha 60S and Matrix RADIX HD6).

Here’s how my fitting went as far as the process is concerned … I started off the session by warming up (temp was around 45* with a 5-8 mph tailwind) with my 910 D2 shafted with the DI-6…BTW I compared my DI-6 shaft to the Titliest fitting cart’s DI-6 by lining up the graphics, and it appears that Titleist tipped theirs about ½” as compared to mine. Unfortunately I didn’t really take note of the numbers I was getting with the 910D2/DI-6 combo; probably because I knew I wouldn’t be ordering the 913D with the DI-6 shaft…. it’s definitely a great shaft though and it’s nice to know I have one already. Nathanr then gave me the 913 D2/+62 whiteboard combo with SF set to A1 and impact tape on the face to make sure I didn’t need longer than the 45” standard shaft (I didn’t)…Nathan then removed the impact tape and we tested for launch angle and spin rates…the +62 WB launched a bit too low with a too-high spin rate….he then swapped out the +62 WB for the Phenom and the numbers were very good but my ballflight was a bit too high and tending to go left of target....Nathan then changed the SF setting to C1 and BINGO! The numbers from the LM were great. He then swapped out the Phenom for the +62 BB and the first couple shots started off right and then tailed off more right…spin rate was too high as well (but it did feel good at impact). Nathan swapped the Phenom back in and shots went consistently straight with that “holy-grail” high-launch/low-spin ballflight.

Also as a bonus, Nathan was nice enough to check (at no additional cost) the lie angle of my AP1 712’s (just purchased off of ebay) on a lie board with some impact tape….it does appear they are a bit too upright, but he said if I cut them down to the same length as my AP2’s (5/8” over standard) then they should flatten out about a degree….I’m going to hold off on cutting them down for now though as the ballflight seemed pretty darn straight as is. While I’m not letting go of my AP2 710’s anytime soon, I think the AP1’s have a great chance to get extended playing time next season.

Once my 913 comes in I’m going to see if my fitter will agree to put the launch monitor on my DI-6 and RIP Alpha shafts to see how they compare to the Phenom.

Overall is was a great experience (I'd never done an outdoor driver fitting before) and would recommend highly getting your new 913D fitted outdoors as well if possible...I purchased mine immediately after the fitting from Champions so my fitting fee was waived.

Also don't hesitate to ask me any questions....

Thanks,

TH(CG)

30 Oct 2012
To: David (CALGOLFER) [#1] 30 Oct 2012

Nice post! Sounds like you got an in-depth fitting. Curious why you're going from ap2s to ap1s?

30 Oct 2012
To: Obiwan [#2] 30 Oct 2012

Haven't really committed to AP1's yet....but going to try them out alongside my AP2's for a while to see if they suit my game a bit better. The AP1's might ultimately prove to be a bit too bulky, but OTOH I can probably use the extra forgiveness, esp. on par-3's....I figure it's easy to be confident with a more player's-oriented iron such as the AP2 when you're playing at a course with relatively little OB area such as my home course, but when playing a less-familiar course with a lot of OB and unplayable areas not far off the fairway, the AP1's may give that extra boost of confidence....at least theoretically. Actual practice may prove to be a different story.

CG

30 Oct 2012
To: David (CALGOLFER) [#3] 31 Oct 2012

I know what you mean. I play Mizuno MP60s, but have a set of Miz MX25s as backup. I have played a lot of golf this year and am hitting the irons really solid, so I have avoided using the game-improvement MX25 irons so far.

Message 42160.5 was deleted

30 Oct 2012
To: Obiwan [#4] 31 Oct 2012

want to sell or trade the mx 25's?

30 Oct 2012
To: David (CALGOLFER) [#1] 31 Oct 2012

Did you demo the D3 as well?

30 Oct 2012
To: ALL

This post is EXACTLY why adjustable drivers should not only be desired but THE standard.

The abilty for the fitter to try all those different combos to max your results
is awesome.

30 Oct 2012

quote: TitleistHO (CALGOLFER)
Just got done with my 913D fitting by Nathan at Champion's Run CC in Omaha (an advanced Titleist fitting account )…..got fitted into the 9.5* 913 D2 with the Aldila Phenom 70 stiff-flex shaft and SureFit hosel setting = C1 to take the initial launch angle down a bit and flatten the lie to help counteract my strong right-hand grip…that’s actually the setting I use when I use the RIP Alpha 60S in the 910D2.

I tried the +62 stiff in both whiteboard and blueboard, but the Phenom was the only shaft that got my avg. spin rate down into the 2200-2400 range with an avg. launch angle around 14* (as measured on a the Foresight “GameChanger” launch monitor)…the launch monitor numbers indicated I was getting the ball into the coveted “white” zone on the Titleist 913D fitting guide’s graph that gives the fitter a general idea of the desired spin rates, given the player’s ball speed and launch angle – so Nathan was pretty happy with the results. I was also pretty happy with how the ball felt off of the face with the Phenom….my last shot felt like a miniature explosion – must have hit the sweet spot on that one! Actually the +62 Blue was getting pretty good numbers but the spin rate was not down as low as the Phenom was for me. I also like the idea of having at least one 70-gram range shaft to go along with my three other 60-gram range SF-tipped shafts (The DI-6, RIP Alpha 60S and Matrix RADIX HD6).

Here’s how my fitting went as far as the process is concerned … I started off the session by warming up (temp was around 45* with a 5-8 mph tailwind) with my 910 D2 shafted with the DI-6…BTW I compared my DI-6 shaft to the Titliest fitting cart’s DI-6 by lining up the graphics, and it appears that Titleist tipped theirs about ½” as compared to mine. Unfortunately I didn’t really take note of the numbers I was getting with the 910D2/DI-6 combo; probably because I knew I wouldn’t be ordering the 913D with the DI-6 shaft…. it’s definitely a great shaft though and it’s nice to know I have one already. Nathanr then gave me the 913 D2/+62 whiteboard combo with SF set to A1 and impact tape on the face to make sure I didn’t need longer than the 45” standard shaft (I didn’t)…Nathan then removed the impact tape and we tested for launch angle and spin rates…the +62 WB launched a bit too low with a too-high spin rate….he then swapped out the +62 WB for the Phenom and the numbers were very good but my ballflight was a bit too high and tending to go left of target....Nathan then changed the SF setting to C1 and BINGO! The numbers from the LM were great. He then swapped out the Phenom for the +62 BB and the first couple shots started off right and then tailed off more right…spin rate was too high as well (but it did feel good at impact). Nathan swapped the Phenom back in and shots went consistently straight with that “holy-grail” high-launch/low-spin ballflight.

Also as a bonus, Nathan was nice enough to check (at no additional cost) the lie angle of my AP1 712’s (just purchased off of ebay) on a lie board with some impact tape….it does appear they are a bit too upright, but he said if I cut them down to the same length as my AP2’s (5/8” over standard) then they should flatten out about a degree….I’m going to hold off on cutting them down for now though as the ballflight seemed pretty darn straight as is. While I’m not letting go of my AP2 710’s anytime soon, I think the AP1’s have a great chance to get extended playing time next season.

Once my 913 comes in I’m going to see if my fitter will agree to put the launch monitor on my DI-6 and RIP Alpha shafts to see how they compare to the Phenom.

Overall is was a great experience (I'd never done an outdoor driver fitting before) and would recommend highly getting your new 913D fitted outdoors as well if possible...I purchased mine immediately after the fitting from Champions so my fitting fee was waived.

Also don't hesitate to ask me any questions....

Thanks,

TH(CG)

Dave did you hit the 913D3 I had a 910D2 (#### you Globalgolf and yourv25% off Lh clubs) I've hit several shafts and its just too high spinning for me. Ismt the 913 series supposed to be less spin? Dunno if I can buy a driver with the 13 number in it.

30 Oct 2012
To: In the short grass (SSFRANNY) [#9] 31 Oct 2012

The 910D3 was the lower spin head - I would assume they keep the same basic profile

Shaft is important as well obviously

31 Oct 2012
To: sandmangator [#6] 25 Nov 2012

Sorry......they're my safety net.

31 Oct 2012
To: 3TIMEFANTASYFOOTBALLCHAMPAnser (ANSERMAN) [#10] 31 Oct 2012

quote: Anser (ANSERMAN)
The 910D3 was the lower spin head - I would assume they keep the same basic profile

Shaft is important as well obviously

Will D3 play similar to RBZ tour that's a more deepfaced driver

31 Oct 2012
To: In the short grass (SSFRANNY) [#12] 31 Oct 2012

No

It will feel way better and not be white :)

31 Oct 2012

I take it from what you have said that the shaft from the 910 are enchangable with the 913 head. I have a whole bunch of 910 shafts so that would be a big help if so.

Thanks
Jim

31 Oct 2012
To: LP (GOINLOW) [#7] 31 Oct 2012

I did hit the 913D3 a week ago (the same day that Champions received its fitting cart from Titleist)....I hit 910 D2 now though and my fitter felt the relative forgiveness of the D2 outweighed the relative workablilty of the D3. Spin rates of both heads are similarly low....and I think the D2 can still be worked well enough.

EDITED: 31 Oct 2012 by CALGOLFER

31 Oct 2012
To: In the short grass (SSFRANNY) [#9] 31 Oct 2012

Hey Scott -

I hit the D3 last week when they first got the fitting cart in over at Champions....I considered going with the D3 but just felt more confident over the D2, and Nathan (my fitter) felt like I'd get more out of the relative forgiveness of the D2 vs. the relative workability of the D3.

Hey If you REALLY want to stop HO'ing drivers once and for all (like me!) , then call Nathan over @ Champions (402-498-8989) and get fitted!! Their fee for the fitting alone is $50; if you order the 913D from Champions then they waive the fee....they also have the most shafts in town to choose from, including the GD AD DI-6 (be careful if you choose to try that one - if you fall in love with it, the upgrade for it is pricey; I got lucky and found my DI-6 in a used 909D3 @ the Galaxy for $113, then I pulled it and epoxied a SF tip on it for my 910D2) ... Nathan was even good enough to get the +62 whiteboard from the local Titleist rep in time for my fitting....the whiteboard +72 is available with most fitting carts, but the +62 whiteboard is not....even though there is no upcharge for it so if you want to try that shaft then u may want to get over to Champions before Nathan gives it back to the local rep.

Trust me - the 913D will be low-spinning enough for you with the right shaft.....I got my rate down to around avg. of 2350 and a 14* angle with the Phenom. Also note that when mine comes in next week I'll have four shafts available, so if you end up getting a 913D we can have some fun on the range swapping shafts around with each other next season...I have GD AD DI-6S, RIP Alpha 60S 2.9, Matrix Radix HD6 and soon will have the Phenom Alpha 70S 3.2 that's coming with my 913D2...and hey the number is "913" not just "13" so don't worry about it LOL!! You're not going to skip playing golf all of next year just because it's 2013, right???!!!!

TTYL,

Dave

31 Oct 2012
To: Jim (GOLFPATRICK) [#14] 1 Nov 2012

Yes, you are correct.....the SureFit adapter is the same for both the 910 and 913 driver heads. That is NOT the case with the 913 Fairways and Hybrids coming in February....those will have a different adapter than the current one that fits all three types of 910 heads (driver, fairway, and hybrid).

And even though like me you already have multiple shafts with the SF adapter installed, don't waste your time trying to order a 913D head only...Titleist won't do it. On the positive side, the stock shafts in the 913D such as the Aldila RIP /Phenom and the Mitsu +62/+72 are the real deal and not "made-for" shafts like the Mitsu A'hina and Kai'li were with the 910 (which is one reason I went with the RIP Alpha since it is the real deal), and those shafts purchased separately run from $200 for the RIP/Phenom up to $275 for the +62/+72. I'm not sure but I believe the Project X shafts that were a stock option with the 910 are also available at no upcharge for the 913.

CG

1 Nov 2012
To: David (CALGOLFER) [#17] 1 Nov 2012

Thanks apprecite your advise.

Jim

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2014 Project Beehive Forum