GEA Golf Forum > NFL, do you still watch?

Full Version: NFL, do you still watch?

20 Nov 2017
To: ALL

I used to tune in a lot and watch games that had compelling match ups, but these days with all the injuries, no name quarterbacks and protests, it is becoming harder and harder to watch. I still tune in, but find myself tuning out much quicker. Not too many exciting games, and way too many injuries. The actual playing time is even less now with injuries and looking at plays to be reviewed.

20 Nov 2017
To: JS (JSMIL4901) [#1] 20 Nov 2017

Yes but only when I don't feel like doing anything else and just want to kill time.

20 Nov 2017

Less and less, for sure. I’ll always tune in to watch my Steelers play but, beyond that, will only tune in if it seems to be a good matchup. Even then, I’ll usually have my laptop with me and spend more time on the laptop than watching the game. I don’t know if it’s because the games are less compelling, I’m getting older and my tastes are changing, or if I just am finding more interesting things to do with my time. Likely some combination of all three. I’m sure my interest will ratchet up once the playoffs begin, though.

The protests haven’t made any difference to my viewing.

20 Nov 2017

For me it's the endless procession of flags. I looked it up one time and IIRC there aren't any more flags than 10 or 20 years ago, but jeez it seems like every single play has a flag sometimes.

I also think all the sports leagues (including MLB, though the NBA isn't quite as bad) are going to eventually re-think replay reviews. They are soul-sucking and time-consuming and one has to question whether they really add anything to the entertainment. They really are like watching a court proceeding and half the time the overturned call is based on an absolutely razor-thin difference between down or not, in or out, etc.

Best idea I've heard given to fix replay (besides shorten the time allowed) is that the replay ref only gets to watch replays at actual game speed and not slowed down to frame-by-frame, Zapruder-like deconstructions of the play (back. . . .and to the left.). Officials on the field have to call it in real time, why shouldn't the replay ref? This would ensure that all the really obviously blown calls are overturned and some of the really, really, really close plays don't get overturned on what sometimes feels like technicalities.

20 Nov 2017

I still watch most Lions games but not a lot of interest in the others. We will put them on in the background, and like Chris, I will surf the web or waste time here. The rule changes and mandatory reviews of everything turn me off. Takes the excitement out of the game, especially when the commentators and rules "expert" call it a touchdown only to have the replay officials overrule the call. Arrrggghh

20 Nov 2017

No. But it has nothing to do with politics. As a lifelong Redskins fan, I stopped watching regularly years ago. Dan Snyder doesn't care about winning. He's just in it for the money and the ego trip of being a team owner. I finally gave up. Haven't watched a single game all season. I ain't watching a team that has accepted mediocrity as the norm and an owner who doesn't care.

EDITED: 20 Nov 2017 by RNB65

20 Nov 2017

No.

20 Nov 2017

Less and less, but zero to do with anything related to the protest thing. It's just boring and like watching the NBA on astro turf. the rules have been tweaked and expanded so much to favor offense in order to create high scoring games, that there is rarely any defense these days. College is getting equally as bad or worse, in my opinion. Basically for me, it's the protests its the product being put out there.

20 Nov 2017
To: ZoomZoom (FANOFHOGAN) [#8] 20 Nov 2017

@ ZoomZoom: "It's just boring ..."

And one of the problems is the frequent and long breaks to show commercials. Which of course are necessary to have advertisers pay for the obscenely high costs of Pro football.

Unfortunately PGA tournament telecasts are suffering from the same thing, relatively little live golf action for all the talking and all the commercials.

20 Nov 2017

NO

20 Nov 2017

I used to plan my weekends around watching NFL.
These days, I watch IF I don't have anything else to do. Even then, its of minimal interest. I've gone from rabid fan, to casual fan.

I started disliking the game once they completely stacked the rules in favor of the offense, and have made the QB untouchable.
And the incessant penalties, commercials, and clock stoppages have taken their toll too.

I don't avoid watching. I just don't go to any trouble to watch either.

20 Nov 2017
To: HTG (HOUTEXGOLFER) [#9] 20 Nov 2017

Commercials dont bug me. Someone or something has to pay for it all. I just go the bathroom or get something to eat. It's just the product has fallen too far behind. It's not entertaining to me anymore. Not enough that I want to invest time in it vs other things.

20 Nov 2017

Nope

20 Nov 2017

Sorry but I am not going to join the grouchy mens club on this one.

I absolutely watch it. More now than say 7-8 years ago.

But mainly via The Redzone. Constant action and no commercials.

For Sunday, Monday and Thursday games, I record them and usually blow through them in about 45-60 minutes if the matchup is good or the game stays competitive. Sometimes a bit longer if it is a really good game.

I even watch the Super Bowl via DVR.

I like the NFL. And how I watch I generally am not subject to any protests, commercials and stoppages in play due to injury, penalty, etc.

20 Nov 2017

When the tennis season ends after next weekend's Davis Cup, I am sure I will watch some. I will definitely watch the Patriots at Steelers in a few weeks.

NFL still can get pretty good once the playoffs start.

20 Nov 2017

All the celebrating, dancing, posing and in-your-face crap that these players do nowadays has totally tuned me off to the game. Every time a guy makes a decent play they strut around for half a minute like they are the Second Coming of JC. They're too much. I'm done with them.

20 Nov 2017

When the Steelers are on, I watch as they're my team.

But where I used to turn on the local teams to keep aware of what's going on with them if for no other reason to be able to discuss with friends, I don't do as much of that.

While the changes to the game itself probably have a bit to do with it, I think more of it is that they've overdone it.

Sundays and Monday night used to be NFL, and they at least tried to have a decent matchup most Monday nights. A lot of that seems to have moved to Sunday night and now you still have Monday and now Thursday nights.

They've taken away what made pro football must watch by spreading it out... more of a diluted product loses it's appeal to where you don't bother with it anymore.

It's sort of like how now that there's a Chipotle on seemingly every corner we rarely eat there anymore.

20 Nov 2017

I have watched maybe one full game if you add up the time. The protests don't bother me. The commercial timeouts do. The look at me act after every play does. What bugs me the most is the selection of games. This past weekend it was NY vs KC and the Tex anns vs Phoenix.

After a Saturday of great college games the NFL is just too limiting. Why don't Fox and CBS use their cable channels for games?

I know they wasn't us to buy the NFL package but that ain't happening.

Besides fall in Austin is our best weather to be out doing stuff.

20 Nov 2017

Stopped a long time ago. Only watch the super bowl game. But then I stopped watching basketball and baseball too

20 Nov 2017

Not at all....and really do not miss it.

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  …  101-113

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2018 Project Beehive Forum