GEA Golf Forum > College Coaching Openings

Full Version: College Coaching Openings

25 Nov 2017
To: ALL

So far, UCLA, Arkansas and Nebraska are looking....who else will be and who is available and wants them...?

Chip Kelly to UCLA?

Is Harbaugh ready to go back to the NFL?

25 Nov 2017
To: Roy Roger (82RETIRED) [#1] 25 Nov 2017

Here are my thoughts

UCLA already announced Chip Kelly
Arkansas will probably get Malzahn
Nebraska will probably get Matt Campbell
Tennessee Dan Mullen
Florida Chip Frost/Willie Taggart

EDITED: 25 Nov 2017 by sandmangator

25 Nov 2017

Don't forget Florida and Tennessee have already fired their coaches. Word is that Summerlin at Texas A&M is the next firing.

25 Nov 2017

Nebraska wants Frost more than anyone. They say they have contacted 6 candidates but it's all a smoke screen. Frost is options A through whatever. Of course, the guy took his team to an undefeated season so far and a #15 ranking despite being in a 3rd tier conference so he's pretty much everyone's top choice.

Huskers could have had Frost 3 years ago for half what it's going to cost now. HUskers are still paying Pelini for another 2 years and Riley for another 3 - combined they will be paying Pelini and RIley about $300,000 per month for the next 2 years and RIley $170,000 per month for another year after that.

25 Nov 2017
To: ethegolfman [#4] 25 Nov 2017

Matt Campbell will probably go to Nebraska

25 Nov 2017
To: CROTHERS1 [#3] 25 Nov 2017

quote: CROTHERS1
Don't forget Florida and Tennessee have already fired their coaches. Word is that Summerlin at Texas A&M is the next firing.

Whoa, I forgot about Tennessee and Florida....

Does Jeremy Pruitt leave BAMA?

25 Nov 2017

Harbaugh isn't going anywhere this year.....how long they'll put up with him losing to the bucks???

25 Nov 2017
To: sandmangator [#5] 25 Nov 2017

Scott Frost - buyout to UCF is $3 million.

Matt Campbell - buy out to ISU is $9.4 million!!!

25 Nov 2017
To: FLATSTIK [#8] 25 Nov 2017

Lot of bucks

25 Nov 2017
To: ethegolfman [#4] 25 Nov 2017

Yup! Riley new Frost would be next. Oregon State probably wishes they had Riley still. Not even really watching the Platypus bowl. Not much of a Civil War game at all. Ducks should be playing third stringers already.

Dave P

25 Nov 2017
To: FLATSTIK [#8] 25 Nov 2017

Frankly, I think Campbell would be crazy to leave ISU for Nebraska. Ditto any of the other institutions currently open (or about to open). The odds say he would roll into town (Lincoln, Gainesville, Fayetteville, College Station - doesn't matter which one), work hard to "change the culture", and promptly get canned after his second 7-5 season.

Or... He could stay in Ames, collect his 2 million per year, and build something to be really proud of. He has a great thing going at ISU, and his philosophy and personality are a perfect fit for the institution. Not so much at Nebraska, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, et al.

Of course, I'm probably talking out of my gluteus maximus... There is a huge gulf separating what I think and what I know about college coaching!

25 Nov 2017
To: Saluki (SALUKI91) [#11] 26 Nov 2017

The A.D. at ISU loves Campbell and wants to keep him - that's why he worked a $9.4 million buyout into his contract.

But - he's going to Nebraska. ;-)

25 Nov 2017
To: Roy Roger (82RETIRED) [#1] 26 Nov 2017

Texas A&M - before Sumlin, A&M was all about the linebackers. Deciding the rigors of Chick-Fil-A are too strenuous, Dat Nguyen returns to coach the Aggies.

26 Nov 2017
To: FLATSTIK [#8] 26 Nov 2017

quote: FLATSTIK
Scott Frost - buyout to UCF is $3 million.

Matt Campbell - buy out to ISU is $9.4 million!!!
A serious ND question for you. When does ND start to really consider a buy out for Brian Kelly? 8 years as HC. 7 seasons of 3 or more losses and counting. 5 seasons of 4 or more losses and possibly a sixth. One 8 loss season. No major bowl wins of note during his tenure. A couple of high profile lawsuits against ND football of which he is part of.

Is that fluke outlier 2012 season ND had when they had no chance in Hades of winning the NC game against Alabama still saving him? ND can afford any buyout number any coach has. Money is never an issue for ND. They may be able to buy out the Vatican. :)

For the money Kelly is being paid I think ND expected and deserves better than a 66% winning percentage (68-34). 62% winning percentage w/o the 2012 season.

EDITED: 26 Nov 2017 by GRM24

26 Nov 2017
To: sandmangator [#2] 26 Nov 2017

quote: sandmangator
Here are my thoughts

Florida Chip Frost/Willie Taggart

Why would Taggart leave Oregon?

26 Nov 2017
To: statechamp (COLE250) [#7] 26 Nov 2017

quote: statechamp (COLE250)
Harbaugh isn't going anywhere this year.....how long they'll put up with him losing to the bucks???

I agree Harbaugh's not going anywhere, unless he wants out. I doubt he'd quit this soon. As for losing to OSU, that's really commonplace now, it's a rivalry in name only. They can't even beat MSU. OSU has beaten UM 13 of the last 14 years. That's not a rivalry, that's domination.

26 Nov 2017
To: Husker [#15] 26 Nov 2017

Taggert is a Florida guy, good recruter in Fla, but if he left Eugene now it would certainly look bad, i.e. Lane Kiffen and Tennessee. If he bolted Oregon football could be screwed for awhile.

26 Nov 2017
To: Husker [#15] 26 Nov 2017

WEATHER- CULTURE.. I could not learn to love Eugene..

LOL- Beaver grad here. Wow- we are REALLY bad right now.

26 Nov 2017
To: grm24 [#14] 26 Nov 2017

Dammed if I know. The school is actually happier with him now than before, as his sideline demeanor has improved quite a bit (the way he treated DeShone Kizer last year was terrible). This season has turned out better than expected for the trustees, but still those losses to Miami and Stanford have to make you wonder.

But it's complicated - some trustees are okay with him and take it as a given that it's a hard place to coach and actually tougher to attract talent there as well. It's not exactly in a beautiful place with a ton of pretty co-eds running around, although the campus itself is one of the nicest in the U.S. OTOH, there are trustees who would be willing to dig into their pockets right now and go get somebody like Urban Meyer, or Stoops. But if you are those guys, do you want to deal with admissions, etc.? Probably not. There's a lot more to it, but that's my quick take which may mean nothing at all. ;-)

26 Nov 2017
To: ALL

Kelly signs with UCLA...

The gusy from Oregon and Washington aren't going anywhere...

Would Leach leave WSU to go to the SEC to fill one of those openings?

I don't see Mullen leaving MSU to go to another SEC School.

Is BAMA Defensive Coordinatior a possibility to go anyplace?

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-57

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2018 Project Beehive Forum