GEA Golf Forum > Russia - Olympics

Full Version: Russia - Olympics

6 Dec 2017
To: ALL

"The International Olympic Committee handed down a landmark ban on Tuesday, blocking Russia from competing in the 2018 Winter Olympics, citing Russia’s widespread, coordinated doping effort over many years. However, the IOC left individual athletes a lifeline, offering them the opportunity to compete under the neutral designation “OAR” (Olympic Athletes from Russia)."

WTF?

6 Dec 2017
To: covfefe (MSSES) [#1] 6 Dec 2017

Its intended for athletes who can unequivocally show that they are honest and clean. A few were allowed to compete in Rio I believe.

Until the Russian Fed says, "ok we did it, sorry", no sympathy will be forthcoming.

I follow a couple of sport specific DBs and Russian trolls often post trying to generate sympathy and doubt. Its unbelievable.

6 Dec 2017
To: bcjim [#2] 6 Dec 2017

the "neutral" and "from Russia" part makes no sense. How about "athletes from a disgraced, cheating country"?

I have no problem with them competing as long as the DQ is on the board before they start.

7 Dec 2017
To: covfefe (MSSES) [#3] 7 Dec 2017

Should we punish all athletes from that country even if they are clean? It doesn't seem in the right spirit of the Olympics to do that..

All for more thorough testing of these athletes...but they should be allowed to compete..

7 Dec 2017
To: covfefe (MSSES) [#1] 7 Dec 2017

RUSSIANS DID IT!

7 Dec 2017
To: Polymer [#4] 7 Dec 2017

In short, yes in my opinion. The Olympics are symbolic and present teams representing countries. Once that message is delivered there would be more self-policing within the teams and less "catch us if you can".

7 Dec 2017
To: covfefe (MSSES) [#6] 7 Dec 2017

So are you against having those athletes there that don't represent a country? Not talking about Russia..but the other past athletes that have done so..

7 Dec 2017
To: Polymer [#7] 7 Dec 2017

Read the first post. "OAR" Specifically the "R". So, to answer your question, the IOC has suggested they still represent a country. My answer is still "no", they should not be there.

To "ban" Russia, they would have to ban the athletes, no?

7 Dec 2017
To: covfefe (MSSES) [#8] 7 Dec 2017

And yet they'll still be under the same conditions as other independent athletes..if they win, the Olympic Anthem will be played..

It also doesn't mean most Russian athletes will be allowed to compete..

I don't see any reason why you'd want to crush the dreams of clean athletes because their country broke the rules. Obviously if they were involved they shouldn't be able to compete..but the clean ones? I don't see any reason why you'd want to do that to them...

7 Dec 2017
To: Polymer [#9] 7 Dec 2017

And what can we do for the past athletes who lost because others broke the rules and won?

7 Dec 2017
To: covfefe (MSSES) [#10] 7 Dec 2017

That's not just a Russian problem. Sadly, when you're an athlete, potentially losing to a cheater is part and parcel of the system.

I'm nto opposed to a few clean Russians getting in nor would I lose sleep over it if they didn;t get in.

Heck, its the winter olympics, I wouldn't lose sleep if the canceled the whole thing.

7 Dec 2017
To: covfefe (MSSES) [#10] 7 Dec 2017

Well for those athletes that were caught, the ones that didn't "win" were awarded the appropriate medal had these cheaters not been competing.

Of course there are plenty that have not been caught..

But what does that have to do with clean athletes being allowed to compete in the Olympics?

7 Dec 2017
To: Polymer [#12] 7 Dec 2017

It shows that sometimes things aren't fair.

Hence the ban, even if it affects those who may be innocent. Although we can assume they knew what their team was doing.

It's about time for a strong message to get delivered.

7 Dec 2017
To: covfefe (MSSES) [#13] 7 Dec 2017

Which is directly against the Olympic Spirit which has to do with Fair Play...which can be interpreted in many ways but the Olympics should be fair.

The Olympics is about diversity, peace, education and goes far beyond just the Olympics themselves but all of the organizations that spawn from participating in the Olympics...and isn't about politics and it should never be.

The boycott of the Moscow Olympics only hurt the athletes and they were punished simply over politics...I'm not saying this will never happen again but you'd like to think we've learned something from that...

7 Dec 2017
To: Polymer [#14] 7 Dec 2017

That's all fine and awesome...but as a kid...I LIVED for the Olympics to watch American Athletes beat those dirty heathen commies in the USSR.

Not very 'Olympic', but hey, there you are.

7 Dec 2017
To: Polymer [#14] 7 Dec 2017

quote: Polymer
Which is directly against the Olympic Spirit which has to do with Fair Play...which can be interpreted in many ways but the Olympics should be fair.

The Olympics is about diversity, peace, education and goes far beyond just the Olympics themselves but all of the organizations that spawn from participating in the Olympics...and isn't about politics and it should never be.

The boycott of the Moscow Olympics only hurt the athletes and they were punished simply over politics...I'm not saying this will never happen again but you'd like to think we've learned something from that...

Well this isn't really about politics. It's more about how a "team" is defined and how widely a "team" should be sanctioned.

7 Dec 2017
To: Chris_MA (CHRIS_NH) [#16] 7 Dec 2017

Not saying this is about politics...

But if you look at what the Olympics is trying to do and what they represent...for the same reason the IOC thought it was a bad idea for the US (and other countries) to boycott the Moscow Olympics, applies here. Should you punish these clean athletes that have literally spent most of their lives training to be in the Olympics because some other people and their government decided to cheat?

It feels very much against the Olympic Spirit..

That said, I'm not sure I agree with calling them OAR...

7 Dec 2017
To: Polymer [