GEA Golf Forum > Back to the Pro-v-1X

Full Version: Back to the Pro-v-1X

19 Apr 17:59
To: Hoganman1 [#1] 22 Apr 8:01

quote: Hoganman1
Spring has finally arrived in Charlotte and our course is turning green. It's also playing "hot". The winds have kept things dry and we're getting plenty of roll now. Those 190 yard drives are now in the 210 to 220 range. The problem is the Callaway SuperSoft ball I've been playing simply won't stop on firm greens. I'm going back to the Pro-V-1X for my round tomorrow.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Of course, I sometimes play the 2 piece when it's wet. When it's dry... urethane.

Try the Snell MTB Red ... spin, spin around greens. Similar to ProV1x at a lot less money.

20 Apr 6:57

Yeah, same as what the others have posted above. On hard greens the soft 2 piece balls are no bueno. But when the greens are soggy, which here in IL is most of the summer, the soft ball is easier to use. I still like the control in chipping with the urethane balls in all conditions.

20 Apr 7:09
To: Hoganman1 [#3] 22 Apr 8:01

Pete Dye did the same thing with a rock on Haile Plantation in Gainesville

20 Apr 9:06

They are the #1 selling ball for a reason.

Maybe not the X's, but the ProV1s.

Biggest difference vs. a Supersoft type of ball will be with the partial wedges spin.

If you can't get a 7 iron high enough to stop based on it's decent angle, the spin difference isn't going to matter that much.

20 Apr 9:25
To: Shaggy (SHAGBAG) [#10] 20 Apr 9:55

quote: Shaggy (SHAGBAG)
They are the #1 selling ball for a reason.

Maybe not the X's, but the ProV1s.

Biggest difference vs. a Supersoft type of ball will be with the partial wedges spin.

If you can't get a 7 iron high enough to stop based on it's decent angle, the spin difference isn't going to matter that much.

Most ams will be fit to the ProV1x - they need the launch, height, spin.

Guys that get the ball up, up - the ProV1

The guys that get the ball up, up, up with too much spin - the AVX.

20 Apr 9:57
To: Mike (DESMOND) [#11] 20 Apr 10:58

And with the previous generations, the opposite was true: The X was the lower flying, lower spinning ball for faster swing speeds.

I really don't know what Titleist was thinking last year when they made these changes.

20 Apr 9:59
To: Tom (TKTMSA) [#5] 20 Apr 10:26

"Yes. It's called "the joy of urethane""

LOL...YEP.

20 Apr 11:00
To: Shaggy (SHAGBAG) [#12] 20 Apr 15:30

And with the previous generations, the opposite was true: The X was the lower flying, lower spinning ball for faster swing speeds.

I really don't know what Titleist was thinking last year when they made these changes.

That may have been before the 2015 version ...

I attended a 3 hr Titleist Ball Fitting with the guys from Mass, and with 7 guys - 5 were V1x, and two were ProV1/AVX - one of them hit it really high and with too much spin, and went AVX. The other golfer was on the fence, but he decided to go with AVX as the distance gains in mid to short irons was mind-boggling to him. They were willing to give up some greenside control for a lower, more wind piercing trajectory.

20 Apr 15:32
To: Mike (DESMOND) [#14] 20 Apr 19:29

I have been playing ProV1s and Xs since they were introduced.

2017 is when they flipped the performance characteristics of the two balls.

20 Apr 19:33
To: Shaggy (SHAGBAG) [#15] 21 Apr 8:36

I have been playing ProV1s and Xs since they were introduced.

2017 is when they flipped the performance characteristics of the two balls.

Disagree - I played the ProV1x because of higher launch and height. But they did change the ProV1 substantially in 2017 to reduce driver spin. The V1x spins a bit more now greenside, more than ProV1.

If you look at marketing the V1x in 2015 ... if you want a higher flight. The con on the ProV1 was spin off driver.

But the now is now .... and that's all that matters.

22 Apr 9:41
To: ALL

I did notice a difference in how the "X" performed before I switched to the SuperSoft last year. For years I thought the Pro-V-1 had more spin and flew higher and the "X" flew lower and was therefore a little longer of the tee. Apparently, that is not the case now.

22 Apr 15:31
To: Hoganman1 [#1] 23 Apr 7:33

I'll never go back to a Pro V1X. Then Taylormade TP5 X is just better in every way that matters for me.

But yeah, super low spinning balls lose their charm when the greens firm up.

23 Apr 7:16
To: BRENTW4 [#18] 23 Apr 7:38

Having attended a Titleist event, their big claim is that each and every ball is consistent with the other, whether it's the balls in the sleeve or the ball you buy two months from now.

The implied that others do not have this quality control, and you see the claim in their commercials. Their company is built on consistency from one ProV to another .. or whatever Titleist ball you purchase.

23 Apr 7:46
To: Mike (DESMOND) [#19] 23 Apr 9:27

Yeah, I know. Not sure I buy it. When your top product is being outperformed, you have to have some kind of angle.

I really think so many people just play Titleist balls out of habit. It's their default. One of my good golf buddies is that way with everything in his bag. He's a very good player, in his mid 60s, played D1 college golf back in the day. He plays Titleist irons, Vokey wedges, Scotty putter, Pro Vs, Taylormade driver, TM fairway, TM hybrids. Has for as long as I have known him. He'll never change any of that brand loyalty and every time one of us trying a new brand of ball he smirks and rolls his eyes ... ;)

He's exactly the kind of ball buyer Titleist banks on.

23 Apr 8:11
To: BRENTW4 [#20] 23 Apr 8:23

I posted a thread last year about a guy at my club who was fully indoctrinated by the cult of Titleist when it came to golf balls.

Good player, probably a 2 or 3 handicap only playing once a week. Had ALWAYS played the ProV1x.

I gave him a Tour Preferred to try and he picked up 10 to 15 yards due to better spin characteristics off the driver. He's now playing the TP5x.

23 Apr 8:20
To: jvincent [#21] 23 Apr 8:25

Part of what Titleist is saying, or implying, is that balls like the TM may give you added yardage but will that yardage be consistent? That is, will one TP5X go 10 yards farther on that 5-iron shot and will the next ball out of the sleeve go 15 yards farther on the same shot?

Personally I doubt it but don't have any data to support or refute those claims. It all comes down to how well the manufacturing process is monitored and controlled. And consumers don't have access to that.

There is no inherent reason a Titleist ball factory would give more consistent balls. But maybe they do.

23 Apr 8:34
To: HTG (HOUTEXGOLFER) [#22] 23 Apr 9:45

Putting that doubt in the mind of consumers is a solid marketing/sales strategy, particularly to the better Pro V1 player who thinks he's a precision iron playing machine, but to me it's the kind of thing you do when you've rested on your laurels and your premium product is no longer the best product.

Jim Nance smarming poetic about how consistent they are, and Peter Kostis now mixing overt Titleist ball advertising into his slo mo swing analysis, just makes me more sure than ever I'm done buying them.

23 Apr 8:38

Titleist is using the FUD tactic that IBM pioneered in the early days of the computer industry.

They made $76M profit on their golf ball line of business according to their latest annual report making it by far their most profitable division. They are going to do everything to protect that.

23 Apr 9:32
To: BRENTW4 [#20] 23 Apr 10:08

I think whether a ball outperforms another - ProV1 v TP5X, etc. depends on the golfer. I've read reviews where the results between them are slim to none, except for wind performance - Titleist always gets knocked down in reviews on wind performance versus TM or Callaway.

If we had/have time, we'd get fit for each of the OEM's balls, and then have a duel between fitted balls.

I'm not much of a brand loyalist, but I know guys who will only play ProV1 - we try to talk them into Snell, into CS-X, but no...

I use a variety - Snell MTB Red, ProV1X on deals or free, CS.

23 Apr 9:33

quote: HTG (HOUTEXGOLFER)
Part of what Titleist is saying, or implying, is that balls like the TM may give you added yardage but will that yardage be consistent? That is, will one TP5X go 10 yards farther on that 5-iron shot and will the next ball out of the sleeve go 15 yards farther on the same shot?

Personally I doubt it but don't have any data to support or refute those claims. It all comes down to how well the manufacturing process is monitored and controlled. And consumers don't have access to that.

There is no inherent reason a Titleist ball factory would give more consistent balls. But maybe they do.

They claim that they have complete control over the manufacturing process - especially ProV1 line -- and that ability gives them the edge. They have an interesting story on how Acushnet was founded -- and it dealt with consistency.

Haven't seen anyone refute that claim... but everyone is now marketing aggressively against Titleist and Tity is fighting back in marketing - see their battle with Callaway where Tity compares its non-urethane Tour Soft against the Tour Caliber CS - a bogus comparison. Titleist should know better.

Show messages:  1-6  7-26  27-30

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2018 Project Beehive Forum