GEA Golf Forum > All-white golf team could end up winning PGA Minority Tournet

Full Version: All-white golf team could end up winning PGA Minority Tournet

23 Apr 9:29
To: ALL

quote: https://sentinelksmo.org/can-lincoln-universitys-all-white-golf-team-win-the-pga-minority-championship/
On May 11, the male golf team of Lincoln University, an historically black college in Jefferson City, will compete in this year’s PGA Minority Collegiate Golf Championship. The tournament begins May 11 in Port Lucie, Florida.

The goal of the tournament founders was “to provide a national stage for players from minority colleges and universities to compete in NCAA collegiate golf events.” That said, not all of the golfers at Lincoln are black. Truth be told, none of them are.

Winning the PGA Minority Championship will not come easily. The Blue Tigers of Lincoln will have to knock off last year’s championship team, the historically black Bethune-Cookman University from Daytona Beach, Florida. Last year, all the Bethune-Cookman Wildcat golfers were white as well.

Now here is where things get really silly/perverse/unconstitutional: none of the Wildcats or Blue Tigers, no matter how good they are, can compete in the Individual Invitational part of the PGA Minority Collegiate Golf Championship.

The individual competition is limited to participants who are “African-American, Hispanic-American, Middle Eastern/North African, Native or Alaskan American, Asian or Pacific Island American.”

In other words, the only people excluded from participating in the individual minority tournament are the 10 or so percent of the world’s people of European descent, save, inexplicably, for those Europeans from the Iberian peninsula. I suspect if these students bring the results from their most recent DNA test and can show an Elizabeth Warren-style drop or two of some “minority” blood, they will be hard to turn away.

24 Apr 12:16
To: Combat Catcher (NINEMILESKID) [#1] 24 Apr 12:33

The Black College golf championship, or some version of it, was played at a low end public course I used to play in Cleveland, Highland park. Great lay out (hosted the '62 Cleveland Open that Arnie lost in a play off to Tony Lema I think), but not well kept by the city (surprise). Anyway, maybe 1 in 5 golfers were back. I would play the "red" course which paralleled the Blue, where the tournament was played. These kids could play. I asked one of the coaches (also not black) about it and he responded good luck finding a black kid who can play golf competently, let alone at the college level. This was '97 or so, so pre Tiger craze, so I don't know if it has changed too much, but doesn't look like it.

EDITED: 24 Apr 12:42 by NATROBIN

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2018 Project Beehive Forum