GEA Golf Forum > Straight left arm? Ha!

Full Version: Straight left arm? Ha!

23 Apr 11:07
To: ALL

As this kid shows, keeping the left arm straight is optional ... especially if you are a one-armed golfer. Fascinating little guy.

He was only 6 when this video was made, now he is 7 and highly ranked in his peer group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14yPBPw21Ek

23 Apr 11:24
To: HTG (HOUTEXGOLFER) [#1] 23 Apr 11:24

Straight is relative - I've seen extremely bent left armed players do well - they've grooved in that move.

For me, I need a straight, not locked, left arm. I am not that athletic. I also need a new lower back muscle that does not spasm - it's tough to turn those hips on the downswing when your back doesn't like what they are doing.

23 Apr 11:29
To: Mike (DESMOND) [#2] 23 Apr 12:22

Yes, me too. I try to keep my left arm perfectly straight, and I think I am. Until I video my swing and it is clear that I cannot. But many pro golfers also have a slight bend so it obviously isn't a critical element in good ball-striking.

The other thing, whether your left arm is perfectly straight or not, swinging with only one arm, as this kid must do, is actually a good training exercise for all golfers with two arms. Swinging with just the left arm (right-handed golfers) helps ingrain what the left arm is supposed to do. Practicing with just a left arm swing can improve anyone's swing path and help keep the right hand from incorrectly overpowering the strike in the impact zone.

23 Apr 12:16
To: HTG (HOUTEXGOLFER) [#1] 23 Apr 12:24

Great video! Thanks.

Charlie--------------------------------------------------------------

23 Apr 18:48
To: HTG (HOUTEXGOLFER) [#1] 23 Apr 19:05

Due to a large bone spur on my elbow, I have about a 25 degree bend in my left arm. Been like that for the last 20 years. I was still able to play very good golf over that time. My game isn't what it used to be, but not sure if my arm bend is a contributing factor. It didn't seem to bother Calving Peete.

23 Apr 18:57
To: HTG (HOUTEXGOLFER) [#1] 23 Apr 19:05

Calvin Peete had a permanently bent left arm as the result of a badly broken bone at age 12. Took up golf in his 20's and won 12 tour events, including a Players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df53H60XTFU

23 Apr 19:07
To: 糞ホール (BUCKET_LIST) [#6] 23 Apr 19:13

I saw Calvin Peete play, tournament in New Orleans, short but accurate hitter.

23 Apr 19:16
To: HTG (HOUTEXGOLFER) [#7] 23 Apr 19:22

If he was a better putter, he probably would have won 18 or 20 times with a major or 2 and be in the HOF.

23 Apr 19:26
To: 糞ホール (BUCKET_LIST) [#8] 23 Apr 21:21

I heard Larry tried to get him to learn plumb bobbing but Peete was stubborn.

23 Apr 19:26
To: 糞ホール (BUCKET_LIST) [#6] 23 Apr 21:21

quote: 糞ホール (BUCKET_LIST)
"quote">Calvin Peete had a permanently bent left arm as the result of a badly broken bone at age 12. Took up golf in his 20's and won 12 tour events, including a Players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that swing!

Charlie------------------------------------------------------

23 Apr 21:23
To: HTG (HOUTEXGOLFER) [#9] 23 Apr 21:51

Peete didn't want to lose his card.

24 Apr 8:00
To: snap (73MONTE) [#5] 25 Apr 6:24

I have always had a very bent left arm, which results in being very narrow at the top. I did break that arm as a kid but not sure if that's the reason.

Here's the thing: if you do this you you're a decent to good player, essentially you are going narrow (backswing), wide (downswing), narrow (through swing). When the obvious optimal thing to do is the opposite -- wide (backswing), narrow (downswing), wide (through swing).

Yep, I got to almost scratch playing this way but it requires pretty good hand-eye and timing because the arcs of your backswing and downswing are tracing very different distances.

Problem for me was every time I focused on getting backswing width by forcing my left arm straighter, it was physically uncomfortable and I hit a lot shots fat (which I almost never normally do with bent left arm).

Then the revelation: I could get better width by focusing on getting my RIGHT arm and elbow farther away from my body, which drags the left arm along for that ride. I still want that right arm to fold and the right elbow to point down to the ground and not behind me. It just now folds later in the backswing sequence.

Results have been promising. It has shortened the length of my backswing, tightened it up. I was getting artificial length by being so narrow for all these years. I am making super good contact with anything on the ground or a low tee doing this -- only issue so far has been some directional inconsistency with the driver. But after so many years of grooving and timing the narrow-wide-narrow sequence, it might take a while to work out.

25 Apr 6:29
To: BRENTW4 [#12] 25 Apr 7:18

quote: BRENTW4
I have always had a very bent left arm, which results in being very narrow at the top. I did break that arm as a kid but not sure if that's the reason.

Here's the thing: if you do this you you're a decent to good player, essentially you are going narrow (backswing), wide (downswing), narrow (through swing). When the obvious optimal thing to do is the opposite -- wide (backswing), narrow (downswing), wide (through swing).

Yep, I got to almost scratch playing this way but it requires pretty good hand-eye and timing because the arcs of your backswing and downswing are tracing very different distances.

Problem for me was every time I focused on getting backswing width by forcing my left arm straighter, it was physically uncomfortable and I hit a lot shots fat (which I almost never normally do with bent left arm).

Then the revelation: I could get better width by focusing on getting my RIGHT arm and elbow farther away from my body, which drags the left arm along for that ride. I still want that right arm to fold and the right elbow to point down to the ground and not behind me. It just now folds later in the backswing sequence.

Results have been promising. It has shortened the length of my backswing, tightened it up. I was getting artificial length by being so narrow for all these years. I am making super good contact with anything on the ground or a low tee doing this -- only issue so far has been some directional inconsistency with the driver. But after so many years of grooving and timing the narrow-wide-narrow sequence, it might take a while to work out.

I've never had a swing analysis to see what the effects of my bent arm are. I finally took a lesson about 3 years ago since my game had been declining. My ballstriking improved dramatically after that without addressing the bend in my arm at all. I could have surgery to straighten my arm, but at almost 60 years of age, and there are potential complicaitons, I've decided to live with the bend.

25 Apr 22:20
To: snap (73MONTE) [#5] 26 Apr 6:34

I was going to mention Mr. Peete. One straight driver!

Dave P

26 Apr 7:26
To: Boomslang (DAVE PINKSTON) [#14] 26 Apr 15:24

In recent times, Paul Goydos carved out a decent pro career with a very bent left arm at the top. Now there's a kid from Canada out there doing it as well -- he was just in contention about 6 weeks ago but his name escapes me at the moment.

28 Apr 18:33
To: ALL

Some of the 65+ year olds here may remember Ed Furgol who also played with a bent left arm, caused by a childhood injury. He won the US Open in 1954.

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2018