GEA Golf Forum > Heart Worm Medicne

Full Version: Heart Worm Medicne

23 Apr 18:15
To: ALL

I had a neighbor tell me she orders heartworm, flea and tick control meds from Canada, Scotland and Australia. Lower price and no prescription required. Anyone have any experience with this?

23 Apr 19:11
To: Diggs [#1] 24 Apr 13:46

Border Collie owner here.
Question - cost difference between U.S and Canada ?
robj

28 Apr 20:12
To: Diggs [#1] unread

We use the Seresto collar. 70 bucks for an 8 month collar. No script needed.

29 Apr 12:01
To: Diggs [#1] unread

quote: Diggs
I had a neighbor tell me she orders heartworm, flea and tick control meds from Canada, Scotland and Australia. Lower price and no prescription required. Anyone have any experience with this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I used liquid Ivermectin given orally (in their food) to my dogs for many years. Never had any problems with heartworms and the dogs lived to ripe old ages. I had several beagles and a bird dog (GSP).

You can buy it at Foster & Smith without a script. The label says "injectible" for cattle and hogs, but it's the exact same medicine given to dogs in tablet or liquid form. You must be careful about the dosage since it takes very little. As I recall, my adult beagles got about 5 DROPS from an eye dropper in their meaty food (once per month) which they ate like they were starved. The GSP got about 12 to 14 drops because he was much larger than the beagles.

I knew many guys who raised entire kennels of beagles for field trialing and this is what they used, and they convinced me to use it. It's good for heartworms and also intestinal worms and parasites. For less than $50, you get several year's supply. In fact, there's enough there for several small dogs for several years. That beats paying $10 per month per dog!

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21278&cmpid=sc

Charlie------------------------------------------------------

29 Apr 12:18
To: ALL

Ivermectin can be dangerous to some COLLIE type dogs due to a genetic defect. Read more here.

https://pets.thenest.com/collie-ivermectin-sensitivity-symptoms-5288.html

"Just a simple cheek swab test can determine if your collie is sensitive to ivermectin. An effective drug for canine heartworm prevention, ivermectin is not suitable for administration to pure or mixed-breed collies carrying a genetic mutation that doesn't allow ivermectin and certain other medications to properly cross the blood/brain barrier."

Charlie------------------------------------------------------

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2018 Project Beehive Forum